Friday, April 13, 2007

Make it from Scratch, bird bread


I have cockatiels that refuse to eat anything that is good for them. Sounds like a kid doesn't it? For them to have a balanced diet and to live the 20 years they are supposed to I bake bread for them. This is not just any old bread, it is bird bread.
First I get 2 eggs out and wash them. Yes I said wash them. Eggshell have bacteria on them that can be fatal to birds. After washing them crack them and toss into a blender shells and all. Yep I said shells too. The shells give the birds a source of calcium, a much needed mineral especially if they are nesting. Next I put 5 jars of baby food in the blender. I used garden vegetables, carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, and bananas. I bought these when they were marked down for clearance. Turn the blender on and grind it all up. The shells need to be grind up fairly small. After that is blended, add Jiffy mix cornbread muffin mix in the blender or you can pour it into a bowl and mix. Use the Jiffy mix as it does not contain any ingredients that can harm the birds. Next spoon into muffin pan that has been lined with cupcake paper. I prefer to use mini muffin pans so I have a size that won't get wasted by my small birds. Bake in oven at 300 degrees until the muffins are cooked thru. It never seems to take the same time every time. It has taken an hour but usually 30 minutes. Allow them to air dry and cool completely. They will be moist so freeze any unused portions as they will mold quickly in the fridge. Serve at room temperature to birds. When I get one from freezer I thaw in microwave. make sure that they are not too hot or they will burn your birds tongue. This is a sneaky way to get them to eat their fruits and veggies. Any combination of fruits and veggies can be used. Just be sure to check and make sure that you do not give the bird a fruit or veggie they cannot eat. If you have tiels this is a good place to find out what they can eat and recipes too! The Cockatiel Cottage
The bird bread is good for birds feeding babies also. It is easily digested and they can regurgitate it well.

tags:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how cool!

Celeste, your animal family members are lucky--they have a great home.

I have never heard of bird bread..

Barngoddess

Stephanie Appleton said...

Pets and kids really are so much alike! :) Great recipe!