Thursday, March 1, 2007

Is it spring yet?

Is it spring yet? Around here, and I am sure it is true for a lot of people, spring is a busy time of the year. This year will be no different. Well actually, for me it will be. This year I will be trying out a new venture. Well.... new for me. It is an old one that has been around for years and years. I am going to plant lots of tomatoes and see if I can make any money off of them. My son in law and I plan on making salsa to can and to try to sell that also. I am also going to try to make some hanging kitchen towels to sell. Pretty ambitious for me. I am by nature lazy. Some people will say no way. I read about all you do. But nope, that is not all I do. A lot of what I do is sit in front of this computer and play on the Internet. I am going to try to stop that and get my rear in gear! In the process if that , maybe I will be able to lose some of that rear!
Yesterday I got started on getting my small garden ready to work. I set it on fire to burn off the grass and weeds. Some of it did not burn because the ground was slightly damp. That's okay. I can remove what is left. My small garden is next to the carport. Is it west facing and gets lots of sun. It is ideal for working in the morning time because it is shaded until about 10. I already have some plants to set out in it. I will be planting broccoli and brussel sprouts. I have garlic and onion bulbs to plant too. I have lettuce seeds and green onion seeds to plant in this spot also. None of that will be done today. Storms moved in overnight and it rained. The ground has to be a bit dry to run the tiller through it. I am hoping that the tiller works! Last year I kept having trouble with the cord breaking and I would have to restring it. I cannot remember if I left it fixed or broken.
Anyway, what I am hoping to do is start getting things in order around here and start making a bit of money. Retirement is coming up for Pat and our income will go down. I know that I will not make enough money to live on, that is not the plan. The plan for me is to make enough to have a few extras and to have enough to eat on. The pecan trees are a good source of income IF they grow and not get diseased. I know that I will not get much off of them for a few years, but 10 years, fifteen years down the road, I am hoping to make some good money off of them. In the meantime, I am hoping to bake some pies!
I am out of here now. The dryer buzzed and I have a load to go in. Washing never ends, sometimes I wished I lived in a nudist colony! See y'all later.

2 comments:

Diane Viere said...

Here by way of Grandma Cathy's Jesus Take My Baton.

Spring? Well, with the arrival of March...Minnesota is currently having (only) it's 3rd snow storm this season. While our winter has been mild so far....I'm still complaining about the upcoming blizzard scheduled to arrive this afternoon!

Can't even think of planting! Good luck though with your new adventure. I'm great at planting...not so good with the care of a garden! Great starter....not so good at the finish. It's work...worthwhile though! My friends who garden give me the best vegetables!

Diane

BarnGoddess_01 said...

I hope you make lots of $$. Homemade salsa is the best!

what is it with tillers? they almost always break down....