Sunday, March 4, 2007

Baby

Yesterday was a big day. I let Baby out of the barn into the field with the horses and the goat. Everything was going great. baby walked up to Precious and started eating from her hay pile and Precious let her! I was surprised. Next thing I know a red bomb blasted out of the barn headed towards Baby! Crystal had spotted Baby and was determined to get to her! She managed to get a kick in on the little one but not serious. baby was scared and ran. Well all the excitement got Precious running and off to the races we went. Unfortunately for Baby, Crystal was determined to get her. After a couple of hours of cutting the horses off from Baby and trying to get her back in the barn I gave up. The horses finally left Baby alone and baby was happy. EXCEPT for a black dog! Pup decided that Baby needed barking at. LOL it was funny. Baby would charge Pup. Pup was not being mean, his tail was wagging. They had met several times in the barn. I would let Pup come in with me when I would feed Baby.

Anyway I kept checking on Baby and she seemed to be okay. I was worried about her staying out all night. We do have coyotes around here and they will bring down a baby calf. I checked on her around midnight just to make sure. She was hunkered down in the brush next to the creekbank. This morning I got up early and went out to check on her. Pat feed the horses and i took baby a bucket of grain. She would not let me come up to her so I set it down about 10 feet away and walked off. After I got about 30 feet from her she started eating. I worried about that baby all day. I kept checking on her to make sure she was okay. She grazed along the fenceline all day. The horses never left the front pasture today. LOL they always head out to the back after feeding but not today.

4 comments:

Donna. W said...

I worry more about packs of dogs around here than I do coyotes. It's AWFUL!

BarnGoddess_01 said...

we've got some awful BIG coyotes around here lately, healthy looking too Ive noticed.

Baby is so CUTE! I hope the horses accept her okay soon, she must have been scared.

Scooter races to the fence when the neighbor's cattle get close, he'll lay his ears back and act like a bad*ss to chase them off.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Thanks for stopping by- your 'baby' is too cool!!

Steph

Anonymous said...

I hope the horses accept her soon. She's so cute! Poor thing. She's gotta be scared.
Pam